Update: This notice has been updated to reflect the addition of serial number range D-1572 through D-1705
C3 Manufacturing has issued a stop use and recall notification for Perfect Descent Auto Belay model 220 Indoor, Outdoor, Speed Drive, and Direct Drive units manufactured between February 2017 and April 2019. The company has found these units may contain a material defect that can prohibit the lanyard from retracting. While no accidents have been reported, C3 is voluntarily recalling affected units “out of an abundance of caution,” the company said in the recall notice.
“Our investigation indicates that defects may be present in the material used to manufacture the retraction spring, which can result in partial or complete fracture of the spring and loss of retraction force. Complete fracture of the retraction spring will cause the lanyard to stop retracting and, in some cases, the lanyard may ‘pay out,’ thereby creating additional slack in the system. Climbing while tethered to a unit with a fractured retraction spring may result in serious injury or death,” the company said in its statement.
This notice affects units that are within the following serial number ranges:
• I-0970 through I-3109 manufactured February 2017 through November 2018
• S-0604 through S-1609 manufactured March 2017 through December 2018
• S-1695 through S-1762 manufactured February 2019 through March 2019
• D-1015 through D-1385 manufactured June 2018 through December 2018
• D-1572 through D-1705 manufactured February 2019 through March 2019
• D-1710 through D-1722 manufactured March 2019
• D-1726 through D-1751 manufactured March 2019 through April 2019
• D-1761 through D-1777 manufactured April 2019
C3 Manufacturing requests that owners immediately remove all affected auto belays from service and return them to the nearest service center for warranty upgrade of the retraction spring to the new Duplex Spring Design. This new system employs two independent retraction springs; this system permits the unit to operate in the event of a spring failure. The daily inspection procedure provides a simple method for confirming the dual spring operation.
STOP USE OF AUTO BELAY AND IMMEDIATELY TAKE THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS
To identify affected units, operators with Perfect Descent Auto Belays should immediately inspect their devices as follows.
1. Locate the Perfect Descent Serial Number. Use the diagrams below to find the serial numbers and date of manufacture on your device. If your auto belay falls within the ranges noted above, immediately remove it from use, and follow the instructions below.
Note: If factory service has been performed to a unit in 2019, it may have been upgraded to the Duplex Spring System. Contact your service center for more information.
No action is required for units with a serial number outside the range listed above. These units will be upgraded to the Duplex Design spring system upon the next recertification. Additional charges may apply at that time. Contact an Authorized Service Center for details.
2. Contact C3 Manufacturing [(303) 953-0874 or email@example.com] or the nearest Authorized Service Center to arrange the return of the affected devices. Customers outside of the U.S. may contact the nearest Perfect Descent Authorized Service Center directly. A list of Perfect Descent Authorized Service Centers can be found at: https://www.perfectdescent.com/service-centers/.
Complete the Inspection and Upgrade Form and return a copy with each unit shipped to a service center. The full stop use notice and upgrade form can be found here: https://www.perfectdescent.com/product-notices/
3. Choose one of two options for the Duplex Spring upgrade.
Option 1: Warranty Upgrade of Retraction Spring Only
The Service Center will upgrade the device to the Duplex Spring Design and perform an inspection of the internal components during the upgrade process. The unit will not be recertified, however, and must be returned for mandatory recertification on or before the next service date as indicated on the device labeling. There will be no charge for the spring upgrade, unit inspection, and return transportation fees. Return shipping will be by the most economical method available, and can be expedited for an additional charge.
Option 2: Bi-Annual Recertification Plus Warranty Upgrade of Retraction Spring
The Service Center will perform the bi-annual recertification and upgrade the device to the Duplex Spring Design in the process. The recertification fee will be prorated based on the number of months left in the service cycle, and the Duplex Spring Design upgrade will be included at no additional charge. Proration only applies to the base recertification fee, and does not include return shipping or replacement components that may be in addition to the base service fee (i.e., replacement lanyard). Recertified units will begin a new 24-month service cycle upon return.
“We understand that auto belays are an important part of your business and we apologize for any disruption this action may cause,” the company said. “We will make every attempt to upgrade and return your device(s) as quickly as possible.”